Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Urban Legends About Benches .. and Something on Proofreading!


It's all fun and games until people hear about the magic benches! For some, more fun than others!


I had written this on Valentine's Day but didn't have a chance to post it until today. Since I made it, Chelle has posted her own take on the "Bench Universe" as such, and it's a breezy caption that definitely has the charm I like to put into them. Could definitely see myself writing exactly what she had written.. Check it out in the right hand column under Dee-generate Bloggers.

For this caption, I liked that the bench was far off in the background. The story came to me while I was putting the picture into the caption setting. I had the first line in my head, and just decided to continue the meta paths I've been heading down. Not sure if it is because I've done all the "straight" or "standard" bench captions I could think of at this point in time, or just want to get odder and more obtuse with the format going forward. Luckily I won't run out of source photos anytime soon!

And how often are Urban Legends correct? Something always gets mixed up or fabricated as it spreads, just like the telephone game. That or someone with magical skills sort of let the cat out of the bag, sort of. They aren't lying .. what was said DID happen, just not the way they expected it!

And now on to our little "lesson" for today's post. I whipped this "column" up way back in 2008(!) for the Shop Talk section of the Haven that I believe I also might have started. Will update it a bit here, but the guidelines are pretty much still on the mark.

Some Guidelines on Proofreading

(1) Read it out loud

You will find more mistakes by reading the actual text out loud. Our minds work in mysterious ways. I am sure you've seen the email that has been resent time and time again where almost every word is spelled wrong, and vowels are missing. Even though it can be jarring to our eyes, we are still able to read it.

Another thing it does is make sure we don't double up on our words. I know this from doing it often. I have left a "the" at the end of a line of text. Then on the next line, I will repeat it. This happens to me more so when I am captioning across the bottom of a picture, as opposed to when the text runs along in a column. 'The','a' and 'an' are truly hard to see in proofing, as articles tend to be ignored.

Thirdly, you can see where punctuation goes in your sentences. The inflection your voice gives when reading out loud can be a good indicator of a need for a comma. It also can give you a clue as to whether the sentence is running long.

(2) Get a proofing buddy

I have a number of trusted friends that will look at a caption for me and point out spelling errors, poor word choice, something that doesn't flow well, or an interpretation I didn't expect them to have. The reason I wanted to BE a writing coach was among other things, the interaction and discussion of proofing captions, and how to improve our style.

Is there a person that you think writes really well? In the trading post, do you find yourself agreeing with another's comments consistently? Strike up a conversation and see where it leads. I will, if asked to do so, proofread a few captions for anyone that would like to take me up on it. There have been times when I've said "Damn, I wish Bren had proofread that caption I just posted last night.' She's felt the same way, which leads me to the next point.

(3) Take your time, do it right

We all want to get our ideas out as quick as possible. It is better if we take our time and check it later on for accuracy. Maybe an hour will do. Maybe it needs to be looked at in the morning to get a fresh perspective and a rested brain.

(4) Other thoughts that don't deserve there own heading

Font style and size: When you are proofreading, try to pick a font that is easy to read. Have you ever tried to read a ransom note? A caption with fancy script looks nice in the final arrangement, but is VERY hard to proofread. Is that an S or an F, or perhaps a Z? Spacing issues can be a factor too. Not all fonts kern well, and others look better in small sizes rather than a headline. (kerning is how letters fit in next to each other)

Printing a hard copy: If you don't mind spending ink, print out a copy to proofread. Looking at a monitor and looking at the written page are two different things. Holding it in your hand might be a way to see something you didn't notice when just looking at the screen.

Don't rely just on Microsoft Word: Microsoft is in the software business. They are not literary critics. Microsoft can only GUESS at what word you are thinking about using. Check out the "writing exercise" for an example.

From Petra (Damn, I MISS that girl!) "One proofreading trick I use from time to time is to read things backwards word by word, e.g. word by word backwards things read to is time to time." This will not help with grammar, but it will make some wrong words that are spelled correctly stick out like a soar thumb. (get it soar instead of sore, pretty funny right, right?) ... ehh my humor is lost on you people!"

 Here was the writing exercise I included to get people to have fun with the guidelines.

Create a caption that contains or refers a : Spell, Document, or Contract.

of some sort that works in an unexpected way due to an error of syntax, spelling, or other problem with wording.

example: You have a picture with a half naked girl around a bookshelf or two. You could set up the caption as being it's due to Steve not proofreading his job application when he applied for a job, now he works in a "pubic" library as Stephanie. Here's the one I posted as an example re: handwriting..


So, instead of a DIY Caption Challenge, i offer you this writing exercise. I'll post all the ones you submit to me (of COURSE you will submit to me! Kneel before DEE1) in a post around February 29 or so, near the Leap Year. You can also point out some proofreading tips and/or talk about the caption I made for Chelle. You can email me at : Dem@ent@ia.n@otme@you@gma@il.com .. just take out all the superfluous ampersands, and keep the one that SHOULD be there.

14 comments:

  1. This is great; I hope that Chelle likes it as much as I do! ^^

    I only noticed after you mentioned it that the "bench" was far off in the background. Such a nice touch! Guess that staring at the hot red bag she was holding (which complements her skirt) distracted me from seeing that detail. Eeep!

    What I like about the story is how oblivious the woman is, and how in the end she feels like she has an itch that needs scratching, preferably by a well-hung man! Maybe urban legends are true, after all, but they work in mysterious ways. :D

    Lastly, I do appreciate your notes on writing and proofreading caps. You probably do more than anybody else to help improve the quality of writing in our community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incidentally, I just posted a little gift caption for you, Dee!

      Delete
    2. Sometimes the models can be so distracting, you only realize things afterwards!

      And yes, I enjoy writing characters that are just on the edge of knowing what is going on, but not all the way. It's a blast to watch them squirm as they are changing from male to female, and sort of get it, but then are swept away by the new emotions and feelings.

      I'll check it out as soon as I can. Been really busy with other things over the last 24 hours or so.

      Delete
  2. Another lovely addition to the Bench Caption universe :p

    Excellent work as always and what an amazing write-up. That has some wonderful tips I will definitely use. You are a generous soul, Dee. Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help, and I am happy that you enjoyed your bench caption!

      And with things like the topics I've been posting, it's a win-win situation, because then I'll be reading much more polished caption from others!

      Delete
  3. I liked your instruction to read it out loud....Sister Miriam taught me that in third grade....of course that was between the beatings....she was a viscous horrible woman and I hope she died of something lingering and painful!!!!
    Anyways....reading it out loud has served me well over the years and I marvel at some of the corporate communications that my wife shows me.....
    These people can't write a simple e-mail!!!!
    I guess they have a roomful of underpaid proofreaders that correct all their official company statements!!!!
    I picture a bunch of naked men in chastity being whipped by their female superiors to work faster and faster and....
    Sorry....I got onto a weird tangent there.
    Anyhow....I liked the cap....but you know you hooked me on the bench caps a long time ago!!!!
    I wonder....is that bench magical enough to be following him?
    Kisses
    Kaaren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to catholic school with the nuns until 2nd grade, so I (and my knuckles) definitely remember the punishments that they inflict. One day my mom went down and almost got in a physical altercation with one of the nuns.

      And when AREN'T you picturing naked men .. whether in chastity or not!

      I have no idea how the magic worked in that park. Perhaps just randomly picking guys, or they can sense something, like desperation for sexual pleasure or the need for femininity. And it probably moves from one bench to another .. just so people like you and Karen etc.. aren't standing in line awaiting the chance to park their butts down and stand up in a tight skirt and heels!

      Delete
  4. Read it out loud is the best advice ever, Dee. It's so easy to gloss over things when you're reading the text for the 10th time because you know what it *should* say and your brain glosses over the gaps. When you hear the words, that triggers something.

    Another trick I use is, when I'm done, copy and paste the text into a MS Word doc. Read it, spellcheck it, and grammar check it. Isolating it from the distraction of the image and treating it like a story or email or report at the office forces you to read it differently. That catches SO much for me.

    Now, as to the caption, I love that the bench is in the background - as soon as I opened it, I already had this expectation that she was beyond the transformation, standing proud on the other side of it. I'm sure the woodsman will agree . . . and I'm sure he's packing some hard lumber to split her in two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the MS Word thing before, especially when using words that I am not sure about their spelling. And I profess that I don't proofread nearly as much as I used to. IT was much easier when Bren was around. We'd often proof each others captions. Was also fun to receive captions in your email that you got to see before anyone else did!

      And the bench placement was part of the story from the get go. It was how I developed the plot in my head. The woodsman came along as I was writing it. I just trusted that it would all make sense in the end!

      Delete
  5. I'm not too familiar with the "Bench Universe", so I feel like there's some context I'm missing out on here, but there's definitely stuff I'm enjoying about this caption.

    First, the model's outfit and pose are pretty chic. I wish I could see more detail on the top, but the combination of a high collar and capped sleeves is the right combination of stylish and coquettish that really appeals to me.

    Second, the changing background color behind the text is a fun take on the text itself changing color. In particular, I like the neutral section behind the third paragraph. I like imagining the character's mental changes progressing at that point. Specifically, I can imagine that the character did show up to the park with a bag of condoms, but at that point in time their understanding of the word "bag" has shifted from "sack to carry things" to the more specific case of "purse". Of course, around that same time, I'm sure their grocery bag full of condoms turned into that slick, scarlet, squamous purse. It's a nice play on the ambiguity of the word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct about the bag of condoms / handbag. Figured that he wouldn't notice at that moment in time, or that the magic had clouded it from his memory .. but it still contained all the condoms!

      You can click on the keyword BENCH to see the other captions. It's a loosely based universe mostly, where women are sitting on benches, and are turned into women, either due to the bench, or something around the bench.

      And stay tuned for tonight's caption. There's a surprise for you.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, I guess it's true what they say, "Great minds think alike!" I really appreciate clever wordplay like that in your captions. The kind of thing you don't notice right off the bat and have to re-read a couple of times to really get the finer details.

      Consider me tuned in, Dee! I can't wait to comment!

      Delete
  6. In my case when proofreading I stopped doing it out loud. At least when I don't write in Dutch. Because I rarely speak English, my pronunciation is a bit off. While it sounds great in my head, out loud it sounds, well, foreign to me. No pun intended by the way.
    Printing the text is something I did, but these days put it on my E-reader. For me that works the same.
    When I write in Dutch and I doubt about a word or a sentence and everything else fails me I pick up a pen and write it down. Most of the time I get my mistakes when I do that.

    Your writing excercise sounds fun, and I'll try to come up with something, though this is where I get to the limits of my English knowledge. When I read it I usually get it, sometimes something like this can pop up in my brain, but I may lack the feeling for your language to write it down from the top of my head. Still, even trying and failing will improve my skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will. And I bet you could always do a "lost in translation" type thing, like maybe a Dutch word that sounds almost like something else in English, or vice versa?

      Delete