Saturday, February 29, 2020

Writing Challenge Results .. Including Chelle's Last Caption?!?


Yes. I am SO hoping she'll come back soon!


Same soul, just a new vessel. Snips and Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails .. always seemed like some sort of magic spell written by those who know not of what they speak. I guess one person's evil is another person's salvation. Depends on how you look at things, and tt's not the way you wear your hair.

And, on to the submissions for the Writing Challenge I, and in the order I received them.

But first, here is what I asked for:

Create a caption that contains or refers a : Spell, Document, or Contract .. of some sort that works in an unexpected way due to an error of syntax, spelling, or other problem with wording. Example: You have a picture with a half naked girl around a bookshelf or two. You could set up the caption as being it's due to Steve not proofreading his job application when he applied for a job, now he works in a "pubic" library as Stephanie. 


This is the caption from Chelle. Great use of the oxford comma, and it's sprinkled with lots of humor as well. The text is a bit hard to read, but that would have come with making more captions. I definitely want to see more stuff from her in the future. Fingers crossed she'll come back soon!


And here, long-time captioning veteran Helena baked us a wonderful, multicultural and bi-lingual slice of pie, that is just delicious to look at AND read. And she gets her just desserts too!


Sally Bend gets something in just under the wire! She likes cutting it close to the deadlines, most likely so that I will punish her. Maybe this time, it'll be her tied down and tickled with a feather. She also naughtily didn't listen to the instructions either! I'll allow it .. this time!


Lastly, here's something I did back in 2009. It's sort of aligned with what we were looking for, but it's more Jeremy's fault that he hasn't kept his computer space clean. Maybe a jerk rag is a better idea? And yes, there ARE proofing errors here. As you can see, I did get better as time went along!


15 comments:

  1. A great collection! Sometimes the best things in life come from expired or violated contracts. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I do miss Chelle. It seems like just yesterday that she popped up, and now she's gone. :"(

      Delete
    2. Maybe stressed out? I’ve deleted my caption blogs on and off because I’ve become disillusioned with writing captions. Sometimes you just don’t enjoy doing it anymore.

      Delete
    3. @ Karen

      Yeah, I thought that it was a good mix of styles. And check out the comments below!

      @ Lucia

      Not sure why, but she did say something in the comments below.

      Delete
  2. I've already said my piece on the caption made for me. I hope to get another one though from you in the future. I hope I can try and make some stuff for you to enjoy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jedi Serene, are you...Chelle? If so, I miss you already! :o

      Delete
  3. I’m alive, I promise ;p

    Had an IRL scare that made me stress out, but it turned into a positive experience. Sorry to disappear suddenly I’ll be back to captioning soon <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Chelle! *hugs and squeezes you tight* ^_^

      Delete
    2. Glad you are doing OK, Chelle! Give me an email holler when you get a chance!

      Delete
  4. A really delightful selection of caps Dee!!!!
    I'm hard pressed to pick a winner out of the group....but I have to admit Chelle's makes great use of the Oxford comma and I really enjoyed it!!!!
    Maybe if that's number one then yours from way back when is surely number two....it was the only one of the bunch that actually made me laugh out loud....
    But I hate to rank them as they are all very, very good!!!!
    Kisses
    Kaaren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never declare a winner, because I don't think that should be the point, which is to get people capping, and perhaps try something new.

      And replying at 7 AM? Did you sleep in, or like the marines, done more before Dee wakes up than most people like Dee do all day?

      Delete
    2. At 7am I took a break to have a cup of coffee and spend a little time on the net....she sleeps in on Sundays so it's a perfect time to get a lot of chores done early so I can spend more time with her later in the day....my day began a few hours earlier...
      Kisses
      Kaaren

      Delete
  5. First, lovely lovely caption Dee! While I really like women with long thick hair, there’s something so mysterious and alluring with a woman and her short hair. And the thought of looking MORE femme the shorter the hair is makes this so squirmy and good as I can easily imagine that being a choice many would make… “if I get this long hair off me, I’ll look more like a man again!”

    I remember working on exercise like this back in… ohmy… 2011. I have them over here: http://caitlynsmasks.blogspot.com/2011/02/writing-exercises.html

    I really like the ones you’ve been sent here. Chelle’s had me cracking up! Helena’s is a perfect photo/layout/color example and works perfectly with the problems of working between languages. Sally Bend’s is lovely and the photo could work with so many different types of caps, but this one is perfect! It took me a sec to get your cap as I’ve heard my nephews actually use the term “I’d eat him up” as an equivalent to “I’d beat him up”. But yeah…. Jeremy seems to get himself in that trouble a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As someone who appreciates women with shaved heads, it's amazing to watch a video of a lady who gets her head shaved, and while they are nervous, there is a certain power and confidence they get once they look in the mirror. Almost like they are throwing off the chains of hundreds of years of oppression at the hands of men, and the pressures of sisterhood.

      And yes, I am technically recycling many of my original writing clinics and exercises. They worked well then, and I think they've already worked again!

      My last caption, when I was making it, I tried to be subtle until the last sentence. I had to make sure I didn't use too many "B"s until the ending, and then I had to make sure I left a space to show that it wasn't there .. the "oth" and "ack" part had to drive home what had actually happened.

      Delete
  6. Great caps girls, I can second what has been said here before.
    And thanks for the compliments.

    ReplyDelete