Wednesday, October 3, 2012

What I Meant to Say Was ...


Sometimes the words just don't come out the way you want them to!



Made this one for Polecat back almost 3 years ago, in 2009. It was a return caption for a 2 for 1 deal I was offering at the time. One great thing about offering deals like that is you get to stretch out a bit, knowing that you still have another caption that could fit them better.

If you didn't notice, each of Nick's sentences is supposed to line up to a corresponding one from Lucy. Much of the words are the same, just rearranged a bit, or sound almost the same ("happened" becomes "happy" in the 2nd sentence. Its part of the whole 'compulsions' genre that I like, where the person THINKS one way, but ends up acting a totally different way. I think I've brought this up before, but a teenage boy heading to the store to buy a comic book and ends up picking up a Seventeen or Popstar magazine would be one of those compulsions.

Feel a bit loopy, but nothing too major. Perhaps if I have to take more pain medication, I will be. THAT is when Dee Dee tends to come out and play. Now that I think about it, I haven't eaten since last night, so its no wonder the pain meds worked so fast. Hmmmm, did I post this caption before? Oh well! Maybe I did!

If you haven't yet, please check out the previous caption post from last night. I posted this mostly to keep distracted and have something to do that wasn't lay down or work.

3 comments:

  1. I've always loved dual dialogue captions. Could never explain why; I suppose I like the idea that the original mind can't control what the new one wants or desires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite TG "tropes" is the whole "accidently saying one thing while meaning another." And this is pretty much the best implementation of that that I've ever seen -- the parallelism was not lost on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you for the compliment!

      They can be really hard to write into a caption since you only have so much space to tell what is going on, and the WAY to show it can often be clunky in execution.

      Delete