Wednesday, August 26, 2020

She Leads Me Into Still Waters, She Restores My Soul


Well, I hope I'm not being TOO blasphemous with this caption and its' title. Oh well!


After I wrote this, I wondered what to title it, and Psalm 23 came to mind. Shauna Marie has had her share of medical issues, and I wish I could do this for her in reality, along with many of my other friends here on this blog, and on the Haven as well.

.. but since I can't do much that way. I hope that this perhaps will lighten her load and lift her spirits nonetheless! Everyone has to have something to believe in, right? I had a religious upbringing, though I left the church as soon as I could, which my mom said was confirmation. That way I could get married in the church if I so desired. So for her sake, I did .. even though I didn't really want to ever get married either!

I am more agnostic now than anything else. And Ricky Gervais sums up atheism fairly well in my humble opinion. He has a newish show, called After Life, which I need to watch when I can handle it at some point in the future. Here's the summary:

After Life follows Tony, whose life is turned upside down after his wife dies from breast cancer. He contemplates suicide, but instead decides to live long enough to punish the world for his wife's death by saying and doing whatever he wants. Although he thinks of this as his "superpower", his plan is undermined when everyone around him tries to make him a better person.

It's on Netflix, and maybe I won't like it, but Ricky Gervais made some good comments about his show when he appeared on Stephen Colbert's Late Show back in July, promoting the second season .. in a rare moment where Colbert was NOT necessarily a good interviewer. Gervais said this about the character he plays, he says, "I want to be with her." and his brother says, "You don't believe in heaven. That makes no sense." and Tony says, "I know she's nowhere. But I'd rather be nowhere with her, than somewhere without her."  That is something I totally understand.

Trust me, I am not suicidal. I don't think I could ever do it. But I understand that sentiment that he expressed. I do NOT want to die, but it seems fair that I get to live. Seems entirely arbitrary, especially when the GF went literally without warning. Was doing fine that night. I woke up the next morning and she didn't. I'm still not even sure how she died. They wouldn't do an autopsy because of Covid. I'll never know.

I am hoping that I haven't made you sad. Not my intention at all. Probably what I'm saying here is, please enjoy yourself here on this planet. Don't take anything for granted. Don't stress too much about what you don't have, but cherish what good you do have. You'll never know when it might not be around for you. Don't leave things unsaid. Make new memories, and keep the old ones sacred.

And anyone in the path of that horrible hurricane .. please stay safe!


Please do watch this. It's funny, touching, deep .. and makes you think. I wonder where the idea came for the series, if he was going through grief, or someone close to him.

2 comments:

  1. I used to enjoy Gervais, and we did watch the first season of After Life (okay, with a few sparkling moments, but very slow), but since his Twitter tirade defending JK Rowling and her TERF sentiments I've kind of soured on his humor. There are better ways to get laughs than at the expense of a community that's already marginalized and discriminated against.

    Sorry, rant over. I love the caption - it's very sweet and supportive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know about him defending Rowling, since I don't use that Twitter cesspool of deplorable meatbags, so I am sort of shocked. I honestly am glad that my GF wasn't around to see her shitty comments, as she LOVED the world of Harry Potter.

      I will see what he said, because I liked him due to his offend everyone equally mantra. But I am not a fan of punching down when it comes to humor.

      Delete