Thursday, May 7, 2020

I'm a Lumberjack and .. I'm OK With That!


Got silly a week or two ago when I saw this picture. But you know, power of suggestion and all!


Where did I get the idea for this caption? Well, I will tell you, and sometime down the road, I will be making a caption dealing with this story I am about to tell you.

But first. Try out Duolingo! It's a "free" language instructional program. Now where near as intense as the other ones out there, as far as immersion or anything, but it does give you a ton of options for which languages are available.

Yeah, so a few weeks ago, I gave it a shot. A few friends were learning German, and done was doing Portuguese. I figured that I had a smattering of French and Spanish in high school and college, so why not try Portuguese as well, since there is a good amount of them in our area.

So, what the hell? I am not buying anything, or doing stuff for gems, or hearts, or whatever it is they want you to do to get more lessons. Hell, they keep bugging me to play for consecutive days to earn more so I can cash them in and learn quicker. But anyway, I am plugging away every few days with the basic lessons they are trying to teach me.

Since I haven't advanced very far yet, I am getting the same repeated phrases, so I can learn verbs like "am" and "have" along with basic words, and of course, which words are masculine and which are feminine in nature .. so an apple is maca, which is feminine because there's a A at the end.

There are different ways to teach us. Sometimes they say a sentence in Portuguese and we have to write what it is in English, and vice versa. Or they'll give you a bunch of words, and you have to click on them in order to write out the sentence, also in English or in Portuguese. Often, there is a native speaker that will recite it out loud so you can hear it.

And then there is the parts where you have to repeat what they said, and they'll "Grade" you on how well you pronounced it. I cannot TELL you how often I have had to say this out loud into my phone .."Eu sou uma menina." which translates to "I am a girl." It is one of the few things I can actually remember to say, that and "Eu Tenho uma maca" which is supposed to be "I have an apple."

So looking it up online to make sure I translated it correctly, this is what the Interwebs had to say:  "In Spanish and Portuguese contexts: a young girl; (sometimes) specifically a young lady-in-waiting." So now I'm picturing myself at some fancy gala wedding wearing a big gown!

Anyway, it was during all this that I found this picture and my head went to repetition and mantras and self-hypnosis all all those things entail, and thought, "well, what if a guy does say these things enough .. does it become a self-fulfilling prophecy?" And of course, this is a TG caption blog, so YES! IT MOST CERTAINLY DOES!

Wow! A bit of caption fluff that I wrote for fun ends up with a LARGE write-up. Well, I guess I was in the mood to elaborate, eh? This is a blog exclusive, and its Thursday night into Friday, so I am hoping that I'll have many people commenting here. I'd like to know what other sorts of song lyrics or mantras would work like this one did! Maybe we can whip up another fun caption or two!


5 comments:

  1. Dang you Dee! Now I'll have that ditty stuck in my head all day...LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. Well, only sort of sorry. I can think of many worse ear worms than that one!

      And, do you already wear high heels, suspenders and a bra? Maybe it worked on you too!

      Delete
    2. Can't wear more than a two inch heel but I do have the suspenders for my nylons and wear a bra every day.

      Delete
  2. So, when do we get the sequel about his dear Papa?

    Great musical choice as well. The chainsaw as a musical instrument is genius. I actually had the early version of that CD, before they were forced to drop "She Loves My Cock." Kind of one-hit wonders, but I always loved that they filmed their 2nd video in a K-Mart parking lot to protest them not selling the album. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't realize that the song wasn't put out in later versions.

      And I always thought of them as two hit wonders, because "The Lumberjack" wasn't their biggest song. That one was "Down on Me".

      Yeah. Kmart and Walmart back then were known for selling censored versions of CD's and tapes. Luckily, in our area, we had so many different places to buy them, you didn't have to worry about that too much.

      Delete