Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Here's Something to Hold You Over


It's not a caption, but something I discovered recently I wanted to share.


This is one of my earliest TG pop culture moments, and it really did influence me, even though, looking at it now, it was very stylized in that Don Martin way, mean, YUCK!

I had been given some old Mad Magazine collection paperback books as an 8 year old or so, and this was one of the comic strips that was towards the back. I had lost it many, many years ago, but still vaguely remembered it, well at least the plot. Many of my early fantasies revolved around this exact method .. accidentally making a change like this. Hell, I still remember this panel every time I see an actual change machine at an arcade, or an old style ATM.

So, every year or two, I would try to find it again, and even looked through some old books at flea markets and antique stores. No success, until a week or so ago, then BINGO! Just in a search engine for "Mad Magazine & Change".

Hope you chuckled, and thought of young Damien having his eyes opened to the world of TG!

<><><>

I am hanging in there. The nights are really rough. My blood pressure is almost normal again. I am "eating" occasionally as millennials would say, though I've dropped 20 pounds. This is the worst time to be isolated .. I was sort of looking forward to being able to "stay in place" with the person I most wanted to be with, and now I'm by myself for the next month or more. It sucks, but everyday I am trying to be better than the day before, and I am achieving that so far.

It's weird, because I don't have to hide any of this, but I still find that I switch to a different page when I hear someone out in the hallway, though there is no one else here. Just now, I went to use my bathroom, and minimized the web browser. Habits die hard I guess!

I will have new captions up at some point soon. I need things to do, and I want to start up work again as well .. and I've got all the time in the world to do whatever it is I need to do to keep my sanity intact. Some will be older ones that were in the pipeline. At some point, I'll be making new ones.

I thank you for letting me indulge myself to some outpouring of grief, when there is already much sadness in the world already. And I can't say that I won't let it out again here in the future. She was a much bigger part of my life than anything else, and even on par with my daughter. For many years, this blog and captioning. One of the reasons I had some captions lined up was in case she stated home, I'd have some things for everyone to keep them entertained, but I was going to take the time to spoil ourselves with each others company until we couldn't take it anymore!

Oh look! Dee is rambling again. Indeed. You've seen me at my best, my worst, and everything in between. I'll be jumping around those stages of grief like a drunk stripper on a pogo stick. I hope you stick around with me and see where the journey takes me, with the glow of my beacon of light hopefully brightening up each of my days going forward.


6 comments:

  1. Dee....no matter which way you "jump" we'll all be there for you....
    As to the cartoon....it really shouldn't surprise you that I was a huge fan of Mad Magazine when I was young....Doing that fold up on the back cover was always such stupid fun....and I loved the Spy vs Spy....and many times the movie parodies were so much better than the actual movies!!!
    But just imagine if there were actual machines like this randomly sprinkled about the country....I'm feeling a post coming out of this for me.....maybe a Matinee!!!!
    We love you Dee....and....well you know....
    What else can we say!!!
    Love
    Kaaren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, as always Kaaren.

      Hope that this inspired you to write something awesome!

      And yes, for so many years I hoped to come across one of those machines.

      Delete
  2. We're not going anywhere, Dee! Take care of yourself and pogo around however and wherever you need to. Take time for yourself, but know that we're all here for you, together in spirit even if we're separated by more than just quarantine restrictions.

    I'll be honest, I was always more of a Cracked fan than Mad, but it's fun to rediscover those old memories. Laughter is supposed to be the best medicine, so keep the giggles coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying my best, and right now, that is trying to exist as "normally" as I can in this very not-normal situation that I've been thrown into, that is already in a world crushing mode.

      One hurdle has been overcome so far, as our city hall is still issuing death certificates. Now at least I can see about banks releasing her accounts to me, so that I can cover this month's rent. Landlord hasn't called me about it yet, but I know it is coming at some point. She was going to pull out some cash for us on the day she died.

      Jeez, that was dark. I'm sorry, but I'm not taking it back. I never had THAT much of a filter and right now, I am saying whatever comes to mind at the moment. Hopefully that will subside soon.

      I am so grateful for my friends support here. There will be a caption or two coming soon, as I had some lined up .. and being normal is what I'm trying to do, but you know me, I'll never be normal! It's when it's time for new captions that might take a bit of time to get back into the flow.

      Delete
  3. It’s your blog, Dee. Do whatever you need to do on here! Your blog and the community around it will be around to help whenever you feel comfortable returning. Take care of yourself <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it IS my blog, isn't it? Got my name on it and everything.

      And that is one of the reasons why I wanted to make this community thrive, so that we can support one another when we need it. These are fucked up times, and it is nice to know that we've got each other's backs and fronts.

      Delete