Sunday, June 23, 2019

A SUDDEN Leave of Absence!


Sometimes, when you got to get a way, you've REALLY got to get away ..


.. with everything you ever wanted.

Made this the other day. Not sure if this caption was from the Internet, or from Ariel Starz collection of pictures for her final contests, but no matter what, I saw something there that was more than just what was shown, but something that was creepy lurking underneath the surface. I trimmed the picture down somewhat due to there being too many windows, and I liked the shadow that was cast upon her, and then put it into a caption setting, not quite sure what was going to come out.

And yeah, I think I wrote it creepier than even I thought I could make it. Not scary, or horrific, but creepy .. which often in my mind is much more horrible than blood and gore and entrails, etc .. probably why I like 70's and early 80's horror movies way more than anything that's been put out in the last 10-20 years. I even changed a few words right before posting to get it a bit tighter within context, in case there was any doubt about what happened.

I love when I can bring something extra like that into a caption .. another reason why this is yet another blog exclusive .. I don't want it always to feel like I'm just relaying a story, or running a dialog like Kevon Smith would, not that I don't mind doing that, but occasionally you want something different and to grab a different palette and smear the colors around.

Hopefully you'll enjoy this one, and let me know either way. Was there too much foreshadowing, or not enough, or just the right amount? I know being me, that people expect this .. which was why the watermelon caption from the other day was so enjoyable, that I was able to pull the rug out from underneath some of the readers! As you were reading the caption, what sort of antagonist were you picturing in your mind? I'll tell you straight up I was going for Hannibal Lecter.

Back in a day or two. Have another caption that was in Ariel Starz contest on the way, along with a pregnancy caption, and something made for the really naughty Sally Bend for including me in one of her captions this weekend!


4 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely job. Horror works best when it's subtle, when it invites reader interpretation, and when it leads you to the 'big reveal' but doesn't beat you over the head with it. A little doubt, a little uncertainty, can go a long way.

    That last line . . . so simple and plain on its own . . . has so much power here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully all the dialog of what "She" was saying set up that last line well enough. I could have spent even more time flushing out exactly what I wanted both to say, but I didn't want to overthink it TOO much.

      Delete
  2. Indeed a great job, and yes, creepy caps can sent shivers down your spine, like this one did.
    So I would say the ingredients you have put in your cauldron to cook up this cap were well balanced.

    I haven't seen this picture among Ariel Starz collection. There were a few pictures I couldn't open, but my guess is somewhere else on the internet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I tend not to source too many things I find while surfing the web. It just happened that it was downloaded around the same time I had snagged some of the pictures from the contests, so I wasn't sure if I had found that one there as well. Glad you can confirm it probably wasn't saved from her catalog.

      And on a personal note, I hope that you are doing well, especially health and employment wise. With being so busy over the last 5-6 weeks (it should slow down after the 4th!) I really haven't even been on the Haven that much.

      Delete