Sunday, March 24, 2019

The American Dream We Deserved! (Re)Born on the Bayou!


Third blog exclusive in a row! When my mind races, you get all the benefits, my dear readers!


Honestly, I have no idea where the title came from. I have no idea what else to call it and I wanted to get this thing posted tonight as it's the oldest caption I have that hadn't been posted here yet. Created it just over a month ago, and I just didn't think it would fit anyone out there, so I sat on it until I had a chance to put it up tonight.

The story came out in dribs and drabs, but it's relatively coherent LOL Somehow it feels like a TG song written by Bruce Springsteen .. not sure if you can understand my reasoning behind that, but it has that "got to escape and survive, any way we can" feel of his pre-1980 albums. Feel free to tell me that you agree with this, or that I'm totally off base, but just that "tiger trapped in a cage, so let's live a life the best we can" vibe permeates it from the start to the finish.

Dammit! Now I am thinking about what song I'm going to link with this, and there comes the title I should be using, "(Re)Born on the Bayou!" Well, I am going to replace half of the title at least!

Much better! Not sure there is much to say here as everything in the caption is pretty much laid out exactly as it is written. Not much of a subtext there, other than another song this seems to feel like a reference to, "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" by The Animals. In that way this caption is a bit different than most, because the main character isn't "forced" to change in the usual sense .. and didn't exactly choose to turn out the way he did either. He just did what it took to survive and better his situation however he could. In the end, I don't think he regrets it that much, either.

As another blog exclusive, please let me know what you took from this caption, because I think that even though it seems straightforward, it gives an interesting point of view you don't see that much of in TG captions .. lethargy, an ennui or lassitude that "I am making the best of the situation" but resolved to accept that things could be, and were, a lot worse, "so let's take what we can get."


9 comments:

  1. So fun and I didn’t notice until you pointed it out but it does have more of a Springsteen feel than CCR! Love it and how regional it is. Also the way it points out sort of how everyday life takes over. Would love to see some more regional housewife stories and exploring that American Dream! Amazing caption!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I would have to think about how housewives are different in various sections of the USA and how it relates to the American Dream. One of the reasons I think housewives in general are still such fodder in the TG community now is that it's almost a begone moment in time where a family could afford to stay home on one income and still be able to provide a good life. It tends to happen more down south I think, usually because the cost of living is cheaper. I will ruminate on that and see what I can come up with at some point in the near future.

      Also, if you haven't posted in the comments before, WELCOME! So glad that the caption appealed to you enough to want to discuss it!

      Delete
  2. Tramps like us...Baby we were born to....be tramps!!!!
    Kisses
    Kaaren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, duh! Kind of wondered what a TG version of "Glory Days" would sound like.

      I was never a Springsteen fan but I know some of the hits from the 80's, and in one of my English classes in high school, we broke down some of the lyrics but we didn't have to listen to the music. I get the common man appeal, even though at this point, the dude is probably worth almost a billion dollars. Truth be told, I probably like Bon Jovi more, and he's totally a Springsteen wannabe with hard rock sensibilities.

      Delete
  3. Sitting on the cock of Trey now my manhood has gone away (think ottis redding)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent my entire youth perverting lyrics of famous songs, so I hear you there!

      Delete
    2. Twisting lyrics and double meanings and word play still one if my favourite things to do, hope you like it

      Delete
  4. I love it! Simple and straightforward, but so many little tramptastic details, and I love turning it around on the reader at the end. Yes, indeed, sniff away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what happens when you don't really have an ending in mind going into its creation, you tend to go with what sounds good. Figured that offering hope(!) might be something to offer the readers after a nihilistic viewpoint through the entire rest of the story.

      Delete