Sunday, January 27, 2019

Hi Home, I'm Honey! .. The Way It Never Was, Or Was It?


How to de-construct a 60's sitcom in a few easy steps, provided you're dressed like Donna Reed!


I am not sure if you can tell from reading this caption, but I had a really, REALLY fun time whipping this caption up for Lacy. There is just so much to work with when it comes to old-school 1960's sitcoms based on the man, at work and then at home. I LOVE this picture so much, and it took me a bit to even boil down what I wanted to do with it, and even then, it took me placing it in a caption setting for me to even start figuring out where I was going with it.

Please read it if you haven't yet because, guess what? I am going to spoil everything now! I don't usually do complete play by play, but for this one, it makes sense.

Of course, the first thing that I did was whip up a huge "Hi Honey, I'm Home!" I knew that had to be the starting point so that all the readers could get a good idea where they were coming in. Then I attacked what seemed to be some weird ass thing where men weren't allowed to own keys to their own house. Why bother? Your wife is always going to be home when you need to be there too!" seems to be the trope used in those trite sitcoms of the past.

Then of course, no matter how rough a day was for Mom, or the newlywed bride .. you had to clean up and get dressed up for your man's arrival home from work. And .. was this ever an actual thing where your boss, male and single most likely, would invite himself over to your house when it was most inconvenient and help himself to a nice warm meal? And even worse, there usually is a promotion in the balance! Hope Ron wasn't making "steamed hams"!!

I wasn't sure where I was going with this, but it was obviously subverting lots of stereotypes, so the next step was to burn the dinner. Right then I had my "FUCKIN' YEAH!" moment as I typed in "and then the alarm went off." Obviously the fire alarm .. I mean the alarm clock was sounding loudly!

Well, which one? One lead directly into the other. Someone is dreaming. It's obviously .. Mary? How odd for that to happen in a TG caption?!? Then I try to finish throwing the caption on its ear by actually parading a few more stereotypes at the married couple, though just inverted.

Fun, fun, FUN! And all apparently legal, I've been told!

So, were you following right along and went over each curve and turn in the road without issue? Let me know how much of a Doctor Dee Sleuth, Master Detective you are in the comment section! Wonder what town Ron and Mary moved into and what other interesting ideas do they have? Perhaps you know better than I so tell me some of the rumors you've heard about! You know, men can be SUCH gossips when they find out a secret!


8 comments:

  1. Amazing! Love these little subversive trips to the past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was so fun to make! Was smiling the entire time!

      Delete
  2. I loved it Dee....but then you know I have a thing about old sitcoms....and I get caught up very easily in fantasies of the past...
    And while I did love Donna Reed I always pictured myself more as Barbara Billingsly....I think it was the pearls...
    Anyways...I loved it!!!
    Kisses
    Kaaren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am recalling that one of the moms in the 60's sitcoms, I believe it was June Lockhart, was a completely wild slut in real life. Apparently Florence Henderson was quite a nympho too. It's interesting that they could play such innocent mothers on screen but be sex-crazed in real life. Guess that is why it's called ACTING!

      Delete
  3. Oh, that was fantastic. Simple, but with a nice progression, and the transition of the alarm was perfect. I think I like that final scene, with the twin beds, best of all - puts the sissy spin on the old sitcoms. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. It's one of my recent favorites and it ticks all the buttons for something I should be proud of, including as you mentioned, the transition of the alarm from fire to clock.

      Delete
  4. So so jealous of that domestic bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to be caught like this. The 50's petticoats and dresses were so lovely. I would not mind cleaning, cooking for taking care of my wife if I could dress like this. Loved this caption.

    ReplyDelete