Friday, July 25, 2014

Keep You On Your Toes!


See that girl, watch that scene, digging the dancing queen!


Made this one for Kamil back in May of 2011 and I don't think I've posted it here before. She likes captions where she is in her teens, so I tend to go quite innocent with her return captions. Also, since she is from Poland, English is not her native tongue, so I don't usually do much with turns of phrases or pop culture, unless its on a grand scale where everyone in the world knows the person.

Rather than get all upset about any of those limitations, I tend to look at it as more of a challenge. Simplicity is the name of the game, and you hope you can tap into universal thoughts that transcend cultures. Each one has its own rules in regards to what is and what isn't proper behavior for each gender.

I actually knew someone that didn't receive their high school diploma at graduation due to needing gym class credits. Back then, you needed 4 years of gym to graduate and I guess they skipped too many classes. They were allowed to process with the rest of the graduation, but had to attend summer school for gym to actually receive their diploma. Our school also gave you a choice of 2-3 things each semester to chose from in attending gym class, and god forbid you weren't there the day you got to choose! I know people that had pneumonia that made it through half the day .. just enough to pick the right sport, lest you be stuck with aerobics and yoga!

Those two things came to me when I was thinking about a return captions for Kamil, and I knew the theme was pretty consistent regardless of culture. Most schools are trying to make sure their kids aren't turned into couch potatoes and got regular bouts of exercise. Ballet costumes, with tights, leotards, satin and taffeta, etc .. are also fairly universal in appeal to TG fans, so I knew I was going to be able to use them to my advantage. Once I had that, it was fairly straightforward with no major twists, except for the overseas scholarship, which was another preference of Kamil .. she likes Japanese culture.

This is about as standard a caption I could've made, and still make it one that came from Dee. I am glad that she like it and we were able to connect.
Thank you for very adorable cap,Japan is well known for hard work, but im sure Sarah will be fine [nod]
 DISCUSSION QUESTION: How do you adapt when making captions for people from other cultures and/or countries? Do you expect them to know what you are referring to, or do you make allowances for what might be uncommon for them?

Don't care what anyone else says. This is one of the greatest pop songs of all time. Almost perfect!

3 comments:

  1. Mama Mia, thats a some a spicy meatball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely sweet caption.
    Nothing wrong with liking ABBA. At that time most music that aired on the radio over here was disco music. I guess liking their music is something I picked up back then. I have to admit though that I did deny liking them during my teens. My favorite of them is an instrumental piece. "Arrival." That one also has been covered by Mike Oldfield, and I still can't tell which version I like best.

    "How do you adapt when making captions for people from other cultures and/or countries?" Interesting question, as all my captions are for people from other countries and cultures:) For the only Dutch cap I made so far I provided a translation, and an explanation in the post what it was based on, because I didn't know if it was something known beyond the Netherlands, some parts of Germany and Belgium. For the rest, I look it up if I'm not sure, or write it into the cap.
    The times I did assume someone knew what I was referring to while it was not the case didn't have much to do with country or culture. At least one time it was the age difference, and at least once it was simply the case of bad writing on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestingly, there are not many Ballet themed captions out there. I think the hold a lot of potential which is why it's awesome to see this one..especially, as you say when it posseses so many things that are pivitol to TG fans. Sweet caption

    ReplyDelete