Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Close Shave .. Not Again!


This caption was the first one I ever did for Candy (One Eyed Pirate) back when she first appeared at the Haven. I am not sure if it was before or after TF Media had closed, but that is where *I* knew her from. She was offbeat in a fun way, and I wanted to make her a caption to welcome her that would be fun. Who wouldn't want a caption with a billy large mouth bass in it? In the bathroom no less!
Thanka Dee for the "welcomes", and the cappy you made 4 meh~love it. I couldn't help but get a laugh from the bass (fish) thats hangin on the wall right behind me, great pic to a good story that all fits together very well.
 Yeah, That caption is definitely a Dee caption!

 <><><><><>

This is where I take up where I left off yesterday. Since I didn't want to lose people to the length of the post, I figured I would jump back in with a post today.

Most likely, I am a TG lifer. Why do I say that? Well, I've been reading the stories since Carnegie Mellon had the gay/tg archive only available on FTP which was in 1994. I won't go over the rest since I've talked about it before in other posts.

I don't usually vanish for long periods of time either. I think the most I've went between visits to sites has been a week or so when I went to Florida in 1999 when I didn't have access to the internet.

I tend to be fairly steady in caption production. I'm sure I've slacked off a bit since I started, but I've not really been hit by any big writers' block issues or a lack of computer access.

I am not sure I could just walk away. I am not sure I have it in me.

Well, I mean, I could stop doing captions if they ceased to be fun. I wrote stories until I realized that they sucked because they were extremely short. Captions were the perfect vehicle for my ADHD.

I always had a knack for coming up with things that were descriptive but concise. I wonder if the fact that I started making captions right around the time I lost my voice and was unable to perform in any bands lead to my fervor at the Haven.  I don't write lyrics very much anymore because it pisses me off that I can't sing them the way I want to, so I've got more than 15 songs just sitting on my hard drive that I've written that probably won't ever get finished.

What does this mean for me? Well, it means that at some point I might become the TG version of the lady in the trailer with all the cats. I'll make some new friends here and there, and lose some too as they vanish into the ether.

I hope to never be the one that constantly says, "back in my day, we created captions while walking 5 miles uphill both ways in a snowstorm, and they had to be less than 300k in size and no bigger than 900x600 .. and we liked it that way, dammit!"

In fact, I am going to try to do this at least once a week. Sometime during the afternoon, I will pop on Yahoo and be visible to anyone/everyone. My nights have been relatively full, but I probably have some free afternoons starting after next week (night work meeting next Mon, daughter's foot doctor on Tues, daughter's guitar concert on Wed, my dentist appt. on Thurs).

So, with all this Petra talk, it made me think about my place in the TG world, how I got here, and where I'm headed. I think this gunslingers got many bullets left in my shooter, and I hope you all will mosey on down the happy trails with me every step of the way!

DISCUSSION QUESTION:  I took down the formspring box .. the newest release of it doesn't seem to let me control the way it looks, and a white box with blue banner is NOT the look I want. I haven't gotten asked anything in at least a month as it is so I don't think it was a good fit. Would you prefer me to list an email address I could be reached if you had a query? Just submit anything you wish to say to me in PM at the Haven? I did add one of those CLOUD LABELS thing toward the bottom so that if you want to see a certain topic, just click on it. Let me know how that goes. Any other plugins you'd like to see here at Dee-lusions of Grandeur?

4 comments:

  1. I love this cap. It's super cute. Don't really see a lot of shaving caps, so nice and fresh!

    I'm the same way with feeling like a "TG Lifer". Had fantasies about it forever. Ironically though, I used to hate caps and only read longer stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how many pictures there are of youngish girls shaving their legs .. that could be an issue if people wanted to do them. Might not be enough source photos to go around!

      Glad to see you are committed! Hopefully your real life will never get in the way conflict with your interest in TG stuff.

      Why didn't you like captions originally?

      Delete
  2. First off, great cap. I like the idea of constantly swinging between male and female. I can in the beginning of this tale that Jeff was taping up his breasts to prolong being a man!

    One thing you said in the begining of your post that really caught my eye was being a TG lifer. And to be honest if you asked me that a couple months ago I would have said the same thing about myself. But with Petra leaving it has made me take a good hard look at what I do, and why I spend so much time doing this. And if I'm really honest with myself I can't see having the job I want, the personal life I want, and the relationship/marriage that I eventually want and still having time to divulge in the TG life.

    Like you said about Petra in your last message... I am just playing here. I don't want to be a woman, and while I explore the idea of cross dressing I would be surprised if I found that it changed anything in me. When I started capping way back in 2009 I was in the beginnings of my nursing school (I had just been accepted into the program and would be starting it in January of 2010). I wasn't working so I had very little money. Many of my good friends don't live close by so I couldn't really justify the expenses in gasoline to go visit them. And many of my hobbies involve more money than I had. In other words I had a lot of free time.

    And when I did finally graduate? My capping only increased. I actually had to take a step back so that I could review the materials for my licensing exam. If I pass the exam and get the job I want I'm adding in 40+ hours a week into my life that I haven't had for years. I will be earning the money I want and be able to afford visits with my friends, and hobbies that will take me away from the computer. I'm sure around all of that I will still be able to cap. But when I add in a relationship? A girlfriend (and eventually fiance/wife) I can see that taking up the majority of my 'free' time.

    Maybe I'll be one of those cappers that make a cap every few weeks or every few months... but I can't see staying at the top of my game if I do that. My caps would certainly suffer and I don't like doing something 'badly'. I think I'd prefer to do nothing than do something bad occasionally. Seeing Petra leave on her own terms and in a good way made me realize that not only can I leave in that way... but that I more than likely WILL leave in that way.

    As to your actual discussion question. I always hesitate posting my email address. Sure, my 'Caitlyn' email isn't my primary account and I wouldn't really mind getting some spam, but directing people there might make it harder. Plus it doesn't allow for someone to ask something anonymously. When I started getting all the unusual questions from form spring I moved over to wufoo... you might consider that. They are free, very versatile and fairly easy to set up and check. Plus it doesn't have a character limit and people can do it anonymously . I can't think of anything else you should have... I'm actually glad you took down the thing showing who was logging in (showing their location and where they came in from)... that was just a bit too creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The location thing .. I had forgotten I had installed it. My work and home computers both had blockers built in so I forgot it was there!

      the "Details and Enrtails" thing .. I figured it might stimulate some viewing for the older posts. They need all the help they can get!

      As to what you said in here .. I really had a feeling that you were going to say exactly what you were going to say and I do worry that you'll pull a Petra. I don't think you'd pull down your blog though, and just leave it inactive but visible.

      I could see a time when I stop making captions. Perhaps at some point I will have said what I needed to say, or life pulls me in multiple different directions. I still think I'll be a TG Lifer though, reading stories, watching videos, and reading blogs. You and/or Petra might end up in that same place when life balances out .. able to view and comment on things from time to time and contribute in that way, while not actively making things.

      That is what's so great about life .. if it was predictible, it would be very boring. Just when you think you've got a handle on it, a new twist makes itself known.

      I might give that wufoo a looksee.

      Delete