Friday, November 19, 2021

The Basketball Diaries - Dee's Ringer!


In real life, I did not play basketball in my high school years. But in caption form, it was a slam dunk!


I don't mind basketball, but it's my least favorite of the 5 major sports out there, way behind soccer, baseball, hockey and football, which are my two favorite sports to watch. I did play on the soccer and baseball teams, and I'd probably have played on a boy's volleyball team, but they didn't have one! Also did intramural wrestling, as we didn't have an official team there until a few years later.

Anyway, I saw this picture, and knew it would work for my purposes .. then got twisted a bit as I was writing it. But of course, that is to be expected by now, don't you think? That's one of the fun things about making up the story as I go .. and I didn't have much of an outline in mind when I started, other than what I wrote out for the first three paragraphs .. it evolved from there. The question at the end of the 5th paragraph gave me the impetus for the entire rest of the caption. And actually, it wasn't going to be me as the girlfriend until that question was asked, and I thought, "Oh! Thank goodness I have myself as an available character! This is RIGHT up my alley!"

Hope you enjoyed this, and do comment on the caption, and if you figured out what I was going for before I actually got to it! I bet that maybe half of you all had a good idea where I was heading by the end.



10 comments:

  1. A boy on the girl's team is a premise so rife with possibilities and you landed on a great one with this cap! And my struggle is usually finding photos of the particular uniform but I never considered using it as just the backstory so this has given me a few ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it! Unless I have a killer premise, I try to let all photos speak to me first about what the captions are going to be about. It's always so disappointing when I have the premise, and have to make it fit as best I can to the 'best available image' though the search. The reason I had saved this one was the variance of height between the two, plus the shorter one being barefoot. That was enough of a hook for me to save the picture for a later use.

      Can't wait to see what ideas you end up with! Also, wanted to say that I'm really enjoying your stories on Fictionmania!

      Delete
  2. You had me fooled.. but then again, I'm as sharp as a tennis ball...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, sweetie! Then again, if you could suck that tennis ball through a chain link fence, all is definitely forgiven I think!

      Delete
  3. Love both dresses in the picture. Fun reading it and the end, a slam dunk caption indeed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee, you know what we really need? A TG cap or story about boys who are left out of a sport so create their own for the school but have to dress as girls! In the realm of late-90s/mid-00s comedies kind of like Basketball meets Accepted meets She's the Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun! Sounds more like a story though than a single panel caption, so I only know one of us that's a published TG author! LOL

      Do you remember the movie Ladybugs? Not a great movie, but a bit fun to imagine done in the TG fiction style. Now that I think about it, I think that someone already did it!

      Delete
    2. maybe field hockey? In other parts of the world men play, I have never known any here though... and the players generally are in skirts, no?

      Delete
    3. @Fiona, Field Hockey is definitely a girl's only sport here in the states. There was one guy on the team at my high school at one point and he was gay, not trans. Wore plaid shorts instead of skirt.

      Delete