Monday, January 25, 2021

To Be Honest .. I Much Preferred Mary-Ann!


What an enigmatic title for this caption! Does it make sense after you read it? Probably not!


But you clicked on the link anyway, so I am hoping I don't disappoint you!

Perhaps you are sensing a theme here? Yes, this is another partially completed caption that got left behind, and so I decided I wanted to finish it. The above caption only had the "zinger" sentences at the end, from "being a girl .." onward. And that pretty much summed up what I had in mind when I set the picture into a caption format. I figured that I'd flesh it out a bit more somewhere done the line .. and then couldn't think of a damn thing whenever I looked at it the next time.

So, now it's got a story to go with it .. or does it? It is definitely fleshed out somewhat, but I did the best I could. Do I like the caption? It's not bad, but it's not great either. Perhaps a bit of sizzle, but no steak.

And I think this is why the initial 'POW!' and 'BAP!' that gets me when I see a picture, needs to be taken care of right away. There are occasions where I can walk away from a photo and caption setting and come back to it another time and rock the shit out of it .. but I'm better off if the wave overwhelms me and I can get it completion as soon as possible. "It's not a design flaw, it's a feature!"

My next post will not be a caption I recently finished after abandoning it a few months ago. It will be an honest to goodness new caption .. as far as I can tell. Honestly, if something happens, schedules can change, but my goal is to have a new caption that isn't something I was working through because I didn't want to keep seeing half-finished works in my work folder!

<><><> 

Something I didn't really want to bring up, but I knew I had to confront it at some point, and give those who haven't been to the Haven in awhile, this update from Jezebel:

I was just informed by Miriam that Rachel has lost the ability to walk and well .... Stuff I never thought I would be writing but both have become very dear friends to me. She has decided well.... basically um.... I was told if you want to send her good bye messages now is the time.

Video, audio and written and anything else. They can be sent to (edited by Dee). Now is the time people to overflow her email with love and sympathy.  *tear*

Rachel isn't doing well at all, and they seem to be looking at end-of-life options. If you'd like to send her a message and are still a member of Rachel's Haven .. sign into your account and go to the NEWS section of the forum .. it should be the first post. If you don't, but would like to send her a note, email me and I'll either give you the email address, or have you send the message to me, and I'll forward it to her. 

Here is the latest update from Miriam, which I viewed right after posting this a few minutes before.

Early morning on Saturday Rachel woke up to use the bathroom and barely had use of one of her legs. She spent her day discussing it with several people she loves and trusts as well as her doctor and made the decision to end her own life with medical assistance. The prescription cocktail is currently being filled and we expect it to arrive later this week. Right now family and some friends have been invited to visit this week and we're putting together a little party celebrating her life for Saturday. Were it not for the pandemic this would have been an open house style allowing anyone to come, but because of it the event will be a lot more restricted due to wanting to protect everyone else. She currently plans to take the medication to end her life at some point on Saturday evening after all but a select few have left. It's not instant and a hospice RN will be with us all day to help ensure she's comfortable until the end. At some point late Saturday or early Sunday her pain will end.

While due to the pandemic not everyone can pay a visit anyone is welcome to send a message. Audio and Video messages will be fully private unless you or she decide to share them but depending on how she's doing at any point written may be read to her. I can promise you I will be the only one reading anything from Haven members to her.

This really sucks .. I thought 2021 would be better but with this information, along with not hearing from Dawn (Commentator) Helena and Wendygirl (all whom have had health issues and have not replied to numerous emails, messages, etc..) this is one of the perils of community .. getting close to people and then losing them. It's why I cherish all of you so much, and love it when you keep in touch by commenting, sending emails, and posting on your own blogs!

7 comments:

  1. I thought that was gonna turn into a Ginger and Mary Ann theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly could have! I think is one of the issues I struggle with, as I always write the caption first, then try to figure out how to title it .. all without giving away the plot of the story.

      I plead the 5th on this one!

      Delete
  2. Goddamn, now I'm crying. I never really got to know Rachel as a person, but I've always had such huge admiration and respect for the community she built. I can't get to the Haven while I'm working, but I will log in and send her a loving farewell tonight. I know it's a sensitive topic for some people, but I'm glad she lives in a place where she has the option to end her suffering. She's been so brave and so strong for so long. She'll be deeply missed.

    BTW, I liked the caption. Even your rescued captions are a delight, Dee. Sometimes I think you're too hard on yourself. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can be hard on myself, but after almost 2k posts, I think I should be better; but then again, after almost 2k posts, it's OK to make shitty captions occasionally!

      And yes, I have no idea exactly what the hell to say to Rachel. I wrote something to them as if neither one was reading it, but some other "third" person .. but how can you sum things up in a limited amount of words? I guess the one good thing about it all is you do get to actually say goodbye, no matter how hard it hurts!

      Delete
  3. I like it, a rescue caption. Becoming a lifeguard is very appropriate for it. Nothing wrong with ginger, it’s a fallacy that blondes have more fun.

    This year is turning out to not be a great start, globally and close to home. Still to much sadness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I prefer redheads to be honest, as my GF was one.

      I was having fun with the "gingers have no soul" meme that has been perpetuated over the last few years.

      And I'm still holding out hope that 2021 is still going to be so much better!

      Delete
    2. Good good good to have fun with the meme. 2021 started of kinda one bad one good one bad, you know what I’m getting at, 2021 has hope to be better than 2020, there’s the odd good thing punctuating the stream of events, worldly and personally.

      Delete