Saturday, August 31, 2019

Meta-physical, Meta-confused, Meta-befuddled, and oh yeah, Meta!


Buckle up, its going to be a bumpy ride through Shauna Marie's thought process!


Made this back in 2013, and so if you didn't see it then, or on the Haven around the same time, this caption is new to you!

Here's what I had to say back in February of 2013:

I found some time tonight to review what I had made, and though I liked what I had written, it didn't seem to be going anywhere, even after I decided that it would fit Shauna Marie fairly well. As I was working it out in my head, I was thinking, "I'm going to need a bunch of space to really get deep into his/her thoughts." So with a caption almost filled with text, I looked at the protagonist again, with her feet up on the wall listening to a song that she probably hadn't heard in her old life, but was familiar to her now, and asked myself what she was thinking at that very moment. Right then it came to me what *I* would be thinking in that situation, "Why is there a bunch of green text floating above me in my room?"

I'm not sure how much of it you can see, but the wall behind her has drawings and a bunch of messages from her and her friends I would assume, such as, "we'll feel SO alive". That and the thoughts in the caption just seemed to bleed into each other and weave themselves around her so much that I just HAD to use it, and breaking the fourth wall seemed like a fun thing to do.

Of course, that does let the reader out of what was possibly some deep thoughts about the actual reality of what we create in these captions, of a person that is jolted from their often times comfortable life and forced to cope and deal with a whole new body, family, and existence, leaving behind all that they knew. Maybe having been on the planet for 40 years might help Tom as he makes his way through Shauna's body, with some residual memories most likely bleeding through, but the teen years are fucked up enough without throwing the changes that have been thrust upon him/her.

Who wouldn't ask questions like Tom did in this caption? OK, perhaps many of us get dressed up in the mirror and see if we hit the jackpot BUT things like "did I swap with someone who's now in my body?" or questioning whether the person you were still exists. "WHY?" would probably be a first question, with "HOW?" being a close second. Do you try to confide with someone close, hoping they'll know more about the situation, or keep it to yourself so that people won't try to have you committed for babbling on about being a middle-aged man two days ago?

Its why that a few years ago I made a concerted effort to try to leave some of those answers blank, or shade them in an opaque way to let those reading it ponder the answers for themselves, since that often makes people more emotionally invested, regardless of whether the caption is for them or not.

DISCUSSION QUESTION: Did the final sentence wreck the caption for you, or did it enhance it? Since I was using a ordered stream of consciousness style of "thought" I thought the ending might work. Was it a good fit, or quite jarring? Did it surprise you that it went "meta" in the end, and if it didn't, would it have if it was written by someone that wasn't me?

The discussion question is still open for discussion if you'd like, and I also mentioned in the last post that I am running an AMA aka Ask Me Anything!


4 comments:

  1. This was a new one for me and I really liked it....
    Imagine all the questions you'd have if this really happened to you!!!
    And it would probably be a little disconcerting when you seem to know things about being a teenage girl that you really have no way of knowing....
    But then looking up and finding yourself underneath a whole bunch of float text!!!! Wouldn't that just create a new batch of questions.....but if you ask too many perhaps you'd find yourself crushed under the bottom lines!!!
    I was surprised by that last line but it was the line that set this cap apart!!!
    Kisses
    Kaaren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I think this might be the most Meta caption I've ever made. Just the whole idea of it tickles me to no end.

      And just think about whether it actually happens that way. Seeing what was about to happen in text while it's happening would be a very interesting situation. Could the other people see it? Could you change the situation in time before something did happen, like in the "Adventures of Letterman" on Electric Company?

      Delete
  2. I took a peek at the original post, to see if I commented on it. I did, and I still stand by it. But wow, I was barely out of hiding back then. To be honest if you'd asked me at that time if I would still be around today, or going back to lurking, my guess would have been, back to lurking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then. I am definitely glad you stuck around and decided to not to go back to lurking! I am not sure, but I think you were commenting anonymously at the time, and didn't even have a blogger sign in name! Amazing how time flies!

      Delete