Saturday, June 15, 2019

It's a Stereotypical Summer Weekend


I have honestly run out of melon word play from the other captions I've made to pun any new ones!


Got ourselves a blog exclusive here, as I found this picture after work on Friday and came up with something appropriate I think. Don't you hate it when you totally play into a stereotype .. like telling Dad jokes, being a white person that can't dance, or being a parent who vicariously lives through the accomplishments of their kids? Sometimes you just can't help it!

And that is what this caption is all about. I have an Italian friend that hates the fact that when she gets nervous or mad, she'll just start talking with her hands, and can't stop doing it. I have managed to suppress most of my bad local accent .. unless I am yelling and it comes out sounding like I am an orphan child of a New York longshoreman who married a Boston hooker. "She's dressed like a fawkin' who-ah! You bastid!"

So anyway, I hope everyone enjoys this blog exclusive little slice of summertime heaven. I prefer mine with a pinch of salt on it, just like a proper French Canadian descendant would! Then of course, save the rind and pickle it for a yummy relish. Let me know what you think of the caption and tell us all how you eat your watermelon?!?


When I was a DJ back in the 90's, this was one of the few country songs I'd play (and yes I had to play Achy Breaky Heart too!) because line dances were all the rage then .. and when the girls danced, all the guys followed! It's fairly innocuous as a song, and I figure that it'd fit right in with what they are calling country music in 2019 too.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I totally did not expect that to go there! Stereotypes are even more dangerous when you're not expecting them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's good to set up a trap for people to fall into .. People expect that from me now so when I can still pull it off, I'm excited!

      Delete
  2. I love surprises and that last twist surprised the heck out of me!!!!
    I guess we all have these stereotypes in our heads....I guess I do and I didn't even know it!!!!
    Thanks Dee....I really liked this one.....really, really liked this one!!!!
    Kisses
    Kaaren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I even left a hint of what was to come with the whole "Seed of truth" part in the first paragraph, relating to the watermelon in the picture!

      I wonder how much was a stereotype in truth, and how much was perpetrated by Warner Brothers cartoons and their racism. .. and how much was just an economic disadvantage? From what I understand, poor field workers went long distances and of course didn't have refrigeration, so fried chicken stands up well to heat and bacteria, and watermelon is 92 percent water, contained in a nice solid rind. Since many of the those workers were people of color, it became "You must really LIKE that food, eh?"

      Delete
    2. Well if you're a history nerd like me you'll find that the Carolinas and Georgia were originally settled by the Scottish and the Irish.....and believe it of not it was they who brought fried chicken to America...
      Perhaps it's southern origins and the south's connection to slavery is where that came from!!!
      As for the watermelons well on my many trips to North Carolina when I was young it seemed that everyone was either growing them or selling them.....or in my case stealing them until I bumped into the farmer with the shotgun....but that's another story....
      And as far as accents go.....put me anywhere and in a week or so I may not sound like a native nut it's clear that I'm becoming one....my wife thinks it's hilarious and most of the time I'm completely unaware I'm doing it!!!!
      Kisses
      Kaaren

      Delete
  3. A lovely mellow summertime cap, perfect for when you're lazing in the sun.

    I speak Standard Dutch fairly well without an accent, but I grew up In the Low Saxon part of the Netherlands thus my dialect is part of Dutch Low Saxon language group. Like it is with you, it is with me. You can hear clearly where I'm from when I'm yelling.
    I've been pointed out by someone once that I switch back and forth between Low Saxon and Dutch in the middle of a conversation when I'm with people from the Low Saxon region and people from other Dutch regions, depending on who I'm talking to. Apparently that's a weird thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see that it isn't just me.

      When my Mom was young, she was an army brat, and lived in quite a few places in America from coast to coast. When we'd go on vacation, by the second day, she'd have picked up whatever accent the locals were using. Sort of weird, and my dad would worry that they'd think my mom was picking on them, but it just seemed to rub off on her because she'd been exposed to it as a kid.

      And I'm glad you think it's a mellow caption. I had put that racism bit at the end, not thinking that people that weren't American or Canadian might not get the culinary part. It is based on some truth, as I had a friend of color that said no matter the civil rights battle went, he wasn't giving up his Fried Chicken, no matter how much people would stare.

      And maybe others can help me out here, but for REAL Southern Fried Chicken, the pecking order of chains is #1 Church's, #2 Popeye's, and THEN KFC? Hell, some people have told me that Chick Fil-a should be ranked higher than KFC though it's not real southern friend chicken.

      Delete