Thursday, February 13, 2020

Ladybug! Ladybug! Fly Away Home!


It's just about Valentine's Day, so how about a .. Prom Caption? Well, it HAS a bench in it!


Made this for Lacy, who is now a 2 time recipient of a bench caption, though some people might think there was some other sort of magic involved. I wasn't even sure where I was going with the plot line until I hit the end of the first paragraph. My thought at that moment was, "so what is the bench going to do?" to get Ron from where I started to where I finished up. I vaguely recognized that I wanted heels at the end because of her pose and that it would work with some sort of stinger at the bottom of the picture.

Then the EUREKA moment! Her outfit had a bit of a ladybug design .. and right then I had my hook .. and for once, the title of the caption before i had even finished it! From that point on, I knew what I wanted and needed to do, just having to craft it in such a way that I didn't overwrite it for one, and that each word I did use, for economy's sake, had as much of an impact as it could in that limited space I had set up for myself.

And here's where I take something I posted almost 9 years ago(!) and bring it into the present as part of my "ASK AWAY about anything you'd like to know about ANYTHING related to TG captions .. or TG fiction too." week long post segment. HERE is the original post from March of 2011 if you want to look over the entirety of that moment. The question asked was, "If you could teach a class on 'Captioning' what would the title be?"

Of course, I ended up going all "Dee" on the response. Mostly as a start to Captioning 101. I called it, "Ways to Not Fuck Up your TG Captioning Projects with Professor Dee".

LESSON ONE: Don't run your caption into the ground by over-thinking and over-writing it.

Captions should be proofed to the best of your ability, but that is not what I am talking about with over-thinking. Both the picture and the story should breathe, and work together to form a cohesive whole. HOWEVER, there is no reason to have to explain every little detail. If there is a red skirt and heels in the picture, you do not have to describe them as they are already seen, You can mention them getting caught in a street grate if it is imperative to the storyline, but not, "his shoes turned a bright red color, the heels lifting his now silk-stocking covered feet several inches higher than they were a moment ago, as his ankles felt restrained by the strap of the now-changed pumps." Guess what, the picture is already showing this. It would fit into a normal story, but you have pictures so don't bother!!! Use the picture(s) as a shortcut to establish what happened before, is happening at that moment, or is about to happen at the end of the caption. Often, you've got the whole background mapped out for you in picture form, and you just have to supply the action!

LESSON TWO: Stereotypes/Archetypes  are your friends .. use them accordingly and with aplomb!

Once again, you've got instant back story. You can either go straight ahead with the standards of behavior, OR go for a twisted version. Either way, people will follow because what you are providing is expected. Guy with a white coat and a clipboard is obviously a doctor. Goths are obviously witches, and cheerleaders are ditzy! Ladies Rooms are where women go to contact the mother ship and enslave the men of this planet. A woman laying on a couch is obviously trying to get a psychiatrist to believe that she used to be a man. Use these to your advantage! 

They are basic guidelines, but I still adhere to them, unless I'm trying to break a trope or want to subvert people's expectations. They also are good shortcuts that work. There is a reason why I'm known as a captioner, and not a fiction writer. I like to have everything set up where people already "know" what is going to happen on a visceral level .. a dramatic term would be "beats" .. that set up the story and where the journey leads. Once I've got that set-up work taken care of, I can work within those boundaries, and move around inside, or break the wall and introduce other elements into that world I've created. If the image can give you all that information with no words, or a quick opening sentence .. then I can skip all that backstory and get right to the point. Or I can play with the details and reveal them as the story goes along, which is much better for readers to figure things out as it plays out in real time.

Yeah, I have lots of fun making captions, but I have, and continue, to think about what I'm doing when I am creating. Feel free to keep asking captioning and fiction questions, and follow-ups can make for good conversations / opinions and perhaps I can figure out other things I might be doing that aren't noticeably conscious of making those choices when I am writing captions.

Please do check out the original post too. There are some good comments by long-time TG caption creators that are worth your effort to read them, including Caitlyn Masked and Mistress Simone.

Lastly, was it the bench, or the ladybug, that caused the change in Lacy?


7 comments:

  1. You are so thoughtful about the process of writing as an art and a science. I (and I'm sure others) appreciate that! Just one thing I noticed, however, not a criticism but an observation which may or may not be important. You didn't mention the name Lacy in the caption itself, so when Ron becomes a girl for a mysterious reason, he doesn't identify his new self as Lacy! I wonder if that might be crucial, since the new "Lacy" identifies with ladybugs. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll cover that in the next post. It was a conscious effort on my part, and relates to something I call the "Radio Commercial" dilemma.

      Glad to have talking points for future blog posts. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Excellent advice in that post. Thanks Dee!

    I love your color scheme on this one. Great work <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Usually I try to tie in all the colors of the picture when making captions. For photos that I place the text right on top, it's often a matter of just using whatever colors won't blend into the background or step over what you want visible. In this case, it was a bit of trial and error for the colors and the Photoshop effects needed to bring it out and have it be legible.

      And I'm hoping the discussions are helping!

      Delete
  3. Lovely sweet cap. I'd say that in this case the ladybug is responsible for the change.

    The discussions about captioning 101, here as well on the Haven, were benificial for me when I started capping, though overthinking is something that can still happen to me.

    Maybe another lesson can include layout, design and readability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan to me. I'll see what I can do about expanding it to more on the design end, though I'm not necessarily an expert. I'm sure that Caitlyn could offer a masterclass! Anyway, I can do this as long as I end up with questions that I can elaborate upon, as I don't know what issues people have other than the more generic/basic stuff I try to cover.

      Overthinking works better in TG Fiction, where you can use as many words as you like to describe the situation. The only problem is if you get too bogged down in details and the reader gets bored because nothing is going on. As I mentioned, I have no problems if people see things differently in something I created, as long as the get the main point.

      Delete
    2. Rather than overthinking, when I write a caption I think of it as Pre-thinking. You basically have to out-think a reader. What she wants is not necessarily what she gets, but if she smiles, you win. ^^

      Delete