Thursday, May 9, 2019

The Arcade is NOT on Fire .. but the DDR Dance Floor Certainly IS!


A blog exclusive that stars *ME* and Grant / Tiffany! Break out your boogie shoes and come inside!


Yeah, I accidentally typed in boobie shoes by mistake. Force of habit I guess! Anyway, this caption is complete fiction .. as the only way I could do DDR at all is to be possessed by the ghost of a girl that used to be obsessed by dancing.

I had the idea ahead of time about an urban legend and a "killer app" arcade game and punched up a search engine to see what sort of photos I could find. Not as many girls in short skirts cutting a rug on a DDR machine as I thought there would be, but this one worked just fine .. especially since I wanted the place to see abandoned .. please ignore the slight bit of arm on the left hand side of the picture!

Then it was trying to get the words down enough where I could tell the story I wanted to tell without going overboard on exposition. I also wanted to through in a few bits of video game references that might be fun for those who understood them ..  for instance the modified "Konami Code" which would have let Tiff cheat her way with invincibility in the 1980's Contra game.

It's not a surprise that I had been watching lots of retro-tech videos on Youtube. I have a thing for old consoles, and I miss the ones I had collected in the early 2000's before I had to move to this current apartment (I ended up throwing out a coleco-vision, intellivision, Atari 7800 and others because no one wanted to buy them at the time! I still have a PS1 original, and a Sega Saturn and Dreamcast. Someday I'll have an awesome man cave where all my old systems will be set up, and I'll have a few retro arcade machines too!

Had to write this up ahead of time, as the first round of Bruins / Hurricanes is tonight at 7 PM. This will be posted around the end of the game. Let's hope the B's can pull it off without one of their better defensemen being suspended one game.

Another post should be up in a day or two, and that will most likely be another blog exclusive, so whip up some comments and ask me any question you want! I'm totally up for an AMA.


Hopefully everyone can see the video. Kewl song, but awesome video and I was thinking about it when I made the caption. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I've got two left feet myself, but DDR in heels and a skirt sounds like an interesting challenge I wouldn't mind trying for myself. Aside from being a hockey fan and writing caps what are your other hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as mentioned above, I like retro-gaming and pop culture history in general.I collect lots of music and will hit old record stores for vinyl and old musical and video equipment. I also play a few instruments like bass guitar and piano and sing. I've also been known to show up at bars and clean up during trivia contests. Thanks for the question!

      Delete
  2. Well thank goodness it wasn't Miss Pac-Man....he'd have to just run around eating balls until he died!!!!
    Kisses
    Kaaren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the cute pink hair bow was so cute! Wakka wakka wakka!

      Delete
  3. You had me at laser discs and Dragon's Lair - I'll go retro arcade hopping with you anytime, cursed or not. In fact, cursed may be way better, since I am woefully inept when it comes to anything musical or dance related. I can shred a pretty good Guitar Hero (and my avatar . . . well, she's all my kick-ass punk/goth dreams come to life), but that's about the extent of my prowess. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot play drums, as I cannot get get all four limbs coordinated enough to do what I want them too. I can program a drum machine to do what I want it to, so I can at least communicate with a real drummer to get across what I'm looking for when I'm in a band setting.

      Did you enjoy the music video?

      Rock Band and Guitar Hero are actually kind of hard for actual musicians because we want to go up and down the fret board for each move and it doesn't match what the buttons do. It takes awhile to get used to 'seeing' what needs to be played as opposed to 'hearing' where it's going interval wise.

      Delete